Crimson Damask Ribbon, Embroidered with Gold, Depicting the Kazan Mother of God, Sewn with Gold. Vozdukh Sacramental Cloth Cover from Seventeenth Century. Museum Inventory Number 5578-1106. In the Rostov Museum. Rostov Velikii
In 1911, the Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) visited the town of Rostov the Great, located some 210 kilometers northeast of Moscow. Its main landmark is the kremlin (citadel), more precisely known as the Court of the Metropolitan, constructed primarily in the 1670s and 1680s by the powerful prelate Metropolitan Jonah Sysoevich (circa 1607–90). In 1883 the White Chamber, built as a banquet hall for the Metropolitan of Rostov, opened as a museum of church antiquities. Seen here from the museum collection are examples of embroidered liturgical cloths, including a 17th-century vozdukh that was used to cover the chalice and plate (diskos) for the wine and the bread of the Eucharist. The cloth depicts the body of Christ taken from the cross with a cherub and two angels holding liturgical fans (ripida). The other cloths consist of raspberry silk damask embroidered with gold thread. The upper cloth depicts the Kazan image of the Mother of God flanked by angels and cherubim. At the beginning of the 20th century, Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire on the eve of the Russian Revolution. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Ленты малиноваго штофа, шитыя золотом. Изображение Казанской Божией Матери, вытканное золотом. Воздух работы ХVII в. Муз. описи Нос. 5578, 1106. В Ростовском музее. Ростов Великий
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: October 24, 2017