Old Mirror from the Seventeenth Century, Adorned with Carved Iron Ornaments on Colored Mica. Museum Inventory Number 8661. In the Rostov Museum. Rostov Velikii
The ancient city of Rostov the Great (present-day Rostov in Yaroslavl Oblast) was known as early as the 9th century. Between 1670 and 1690 Metropolitan Jonah Sysoevich created on the north shore of Lake Nero a remarkable complex known as the Rostov Kremlin (formally “Metropolitan's Court”) that included several churches as well as walls and towers. By the time this photograph was taken in 1911, the Rostov Kremlin had become one of Russia’s most notable historic sites, with an excellent museum of antiquities. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire. His museum photographs focused primarily on examples of religious art, but they also included objects such as this 17th-century mirror of colored mica set within an elaborate frame with carved iron ornamentation. Prokudin-Gorskii often photographed museum objects as part of his project to introduce Russia’s regional history to a larger audience.
Title in Original Language
Древнее зеркало ХVII века, украшенное резным из железа орнаментом на цветной слюде. Муз. описи № 8661. В Ростовском музее/ Ростов Великий
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 23, 2016