Very Old Stone Building in the Garden of the Rostov Kremlin, Which According to Legend, Was Used as a Bathhouse in the Rostov Archbishop's House. In the Rostov Museum. Rostov Velikii

Description

In 1911, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) visited the town of Rostov the Great, located some 210 kilometers northeast of Moscow. The town’s main landmark is the kremlin (citadel), more precisely known as the Court of the Metropolitan, constructed primarily in the 1670s and 1680s by the powerful prelate Metropolitan Jonah Sysoevich (circa 1607–90). With the transfer of the seat of the metropolitan from Rostov to Yaroslavl in 1787, the kremlin fell into decay, but in the late 19th century, local merchants gathered funds to maintain the ensemble. The caption places this ruined building in the garden attached to the south side of the Rostov kremlin. According to local lore the building, called the Prince’s Baths, was part of the former Monastery of Saint Gregory the Divine and served as a bathhouse for the Archbishop’s Residence. The monastery was replaced by a church of the same name that still stands as part of the kremlin. By style, the structure could date to the 16th century. At the beginning of the 20th century, Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire on the eve of the Russian Revolution. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

Каменное здание глубокой древности в саду Ростовскаго Кремля, которое по преданию служило баней Ростовскаго Архиерейскаго Дома. В Ростовском музее. Ростов Великий

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)

Notes

  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.

Last updated: September 21, 2017