Metal Cross from the Eighteenth Century, on the Middle Cupola of the Cathedral Church of the Holy Trinity in the Ipatevskii Monastery. Museum Inventory Number 4765. In the Rostov Museum. Rostov Velikii
In 1911, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) visited Rostov the Great, located some 210 kilometeres northeast of Moscow. Its main landmark is the kremlin (citadel), more precisely known as the Court of the Metropolitan, constructed primarily in the 1670s and 1680s by the powerful prelate Metropolitan Jonah Sysoevich (circa 1607–90). In 1883, the White Chamber, built as a banquet hall for the Metropolitan of Rostov, opened as a museum of church antiquities. Shown here is an 18th-century metal cross originally fastened above a dome of the Trinity Cathedral at the Trinity-Ipat’evskii Monastery, located near the Volga River at Kostroma. The monastery is considered the “cradle of the Romanov dynasty,” since it is there that Mikhail Romanov took refuge with this mother in the fall of 1612 during the Time of Troubles. After the founding of the dynasty in 1613, the monastery received lavish gifts from the Romanovs. Among the decorative motifs are rays ending in stars. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Крест металлический XVIII века, помещавшийся на средней главе соборной Троицкой церкви в Ипатьевском монастыре. Муз. описи № 4765. В Ростовском музее. Ростов Великий
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: June 13, 2017