Some of the Wall Paintings in the Church of Our Savior, in the Vestibule. Rostov Velikii
The city of Rostov the Great is mentioned in written chronicles as early as the ninth century. Between 1670 and 1690 Metropolitan Jonah Sysoevich created on the north shore of Lake Nero a remarkable complex known as the Rostov Kremlin (formally Metropolitan's Court), which included several churches as well as walls and towers. The Church of the Savior on the Stores, built in 1675 above a provisions cellar, served as the metropolitan's chapel and also as a place for the performance of sacred music. Shown here is a part of the fresco on the west wall depicting the Last Judgment. In the upper left is an unclothed body and soul (head not shown) being weighed for judgment, with an archangel standing guard. At the bottom are the four beasts. In the center is the serpent of Hell, whose body shows the names of sins such as “hatred” and “envy.” At the bottom right are sinners in torment. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many parts of the empire. In 1911 he visited Yaroslavl Province, whose ancient cities included Rostov the Great.
Title in Original Language
Часть стенной живописи в церкви Спаса на сенях. Ростов Великий
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 23, 2016