Iconostasis in the Church of the Resurrection. Rostov Velikii
In 1911, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) visited Rostov the Great, located some 210 kilometers northeast of Moscow. The town’s main landmark is the kremlin (citadel), more precisely known as the Court of the Metropolitan, constructed primarily in the 1670s and 1680s by Metropolitan Jonah Sysoevich (circa 1607–90). Seen in this technically demanding interior view is the first row of the iconostasis (icon screen) at the east part of the Church of the Resurrection. Icons visible here include Mary and the Christ Child (left) and a full-length image of the Savior (right). Medieval icons were usually painted on boards, but in this case, many of the sacred images are painted as frescoes. A canopy in the center frames the Royal Gate, which leads to the altar behind the iconostasis. The door panels contain images of the four Evangelists, with the top panels depicting the Annunciation (Archangel Gabriel and Mary). The base of the iconostasis is decorated with geometric and floral patterns. At the beginning of the 20th century, Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire on the eve of the Russian revolution. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Иконостас в церкви Воскресения. Ростов Великий
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: May 23, 2017