Church of the Resurrection of Christ, in the Kremlin. Rostov Velikii
In 1911, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) visited Rostov the Great, located some 210 kilometers northeast of Moscow. First mentioned in chronicles under the year 862, Rostov was for centuries a cultural and political center. Its main landmark is the kremlin (citadel), more precisely known as the Court of the Metropolitan. Constructed primarily in the 1670s and 1680s by the powerful prelate Metropolitan Jonah Sysoevich (circa 1607–90), the ensemble is one of the last great works of medieval Russia. Seen here in this northeast view from the great bell tower (zvonnitsa) is the Church of the Resurrection (1670) over the north gate. The highly decorated gate with three arches is flanked by symmetrical towers in the style of fortress architecture, although this kremlin was never intended for military use. Next to the right tower is a bell pavilion. Just visible at the far right is the apse of the Dormition Cathedral. At the beginning of the 20th century, Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire on the eve of the Russian revolution. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Церковь Воскресения Христова в кремле. Ростов Великий
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: May 23, 2017