General View of Rostov Velikii and the Kremlin, from the Island
In 1911, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailvich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled to Rostov the Great (Velikii), located some 210 kilometers northeast of Moscow. First mentioned in chronicles under the year 862, Rostov was a major cultural and political center in medieval Russia. Visible in the center of this northeast view from the west shore of Lake Nero is the Rostov kremlin (citadel), or Court of the Metropolitan, constructed primarily in the 1670s and 1680s. The dominant structure at the left center is the five-domed Dormition Cathedral, built in 1508–12. To the right are the churches and towers of the kremlin, including the Church of Saint Gregory (1680), the Church of Saint John the Divine (1683) over the West Gate, and the Church of the Miraculous Image of the Savior “na Seniakh” (1675), identified by its high single dome. Grouped on the right is the bell tower and Cathedral of the Nativity of the Virgin (built in the late 17th century with the support of Metropolitan Jonah) at the Nativity Convent, founded in the late 14th century. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Общий вид на Ростов и Кремль с острова
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: March 3, 2017