General View of the Kremlin, from the Bell Tower of the Church of All Saints. Rostov Velikii
In 1911, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) visited Rostov the Great (Velikii), located some 210 kilometers northeast of Moscow. First mentioned in chronicles under the year 862, Rostov was a major cultural and political center in medieval Russia. The main landmark is the kremlin (citadel), or Court of the Metropolitan, constructed primarily in the 1670s and 1680s. Prokudin-Gorskii took photographs of the kremlin and adjacent structures from the bell tower of the Church of All Saints (razed in the 1930s). On the left is the Dormition Cathedral, built in 1508–12 and modeled on the Dormition Cathedral in the Moscow kremlin. In the center is the Church of the Resurrection, built in 1670 over the North Gate. In the background is the Cathedral of the Nativity of the Virgin (late 17th century) at the Nativity Convent. On the right are the Church of the Miraculous Image of the Savior “na Seniakh” (1675) and the Church of Saint John the Divine, built in 1683 over the West Gate. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Общий вид Кремля с колокольни Всесвятской церкви. Ростов Великий
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: March 3, 2017