Fresco over the Entrance in the Church of Saint John the Chrysostom from the Church Porch (Gallery). Yaroslavl
In 1911, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled to the middle Volga region and spent time in the medieval centers of Yaroslavl and Kostroma. Shown here is the west portal of the Church of Saint John Chrysostom, part of the church ensemble at Korovniki, a district of Yaroslavl near the confluence of the Kotorosl and Volga Rivers. The basic structure was built in 1649–54 with funds from the merchants Fedor and Ivan Nezhdanovskii. The base of the church features a one-story gallery attached on the south, west and north facades. Inside the gallery, each wall is painted with frescoes and has a portal leading to the main space. Visible through the iron gatework of this west portal is the elaborate iconostasis at the east end of the church. Above the portal arch is a fresco with Christ in Judgement rising above the Mother of God and the righteous. Flanking the portal are the Archangel Michael (left) and the Archangel Gabriel. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Фреска над входом в церковь [Ионна Златоуста] с паперти (галлерея). Ярославль
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: March 3, 2017