Exit onto the Volga through the Wall of the Church of Saint John Chrysostom. Yaroslavl
In 1911, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled to the middle Volga region and spent time in the medieval centers of Yaroslavl and Kostroma. Shown here is the west facade of the Holy Gate, part of the church ensemble at Korovniki, a district of Yaroslavl near the confluence of the Kotorosl and Volga Rivers. The brick gate structure was built around 1700 as part of the Korovniki ensemble. The east wall faces the Volga, which is just visible beyond the ironwork of the gate. The structure consists of three octagonal tiers resting on a pediment above the arched gateway. At the top is a small cupola and cross. The gateway facade is decorated with polychrome ceramic tiles set in recessed squares, as well as ornamental columns of molded brick. On the far left is the southeast corner of the Church of Saint John Chrysostom, with a chapel capped in a tall “tent” tower. Also visible is the south porch with a fresco of the Transfiguration. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Выход на Волгу из ограды церкви Иоанна Златоуста. Ярославль
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: March 3, 2017