Entrance into the Church of Saint John Chrysostom (from the Southwest). Yaroslavl
In 1911, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled to the middle Volga region and spent time in the medieval centers of Yaroslavl and Kostroma. Seen here is the south facade of the Church of Saint John Chrysostom, part of the church ensemble at Korovniki, a district of Yaroslavl near the confluence of the Kotorosl and Volga Rivers. The basic structure was built in 1649–54 with funds from the merchants Fedor and Ivan Nezhdanovskii. The base of the church features a one-story arched gallery attached on the south, west and north facades. At the center of each gallery is a richly decorated porch (late 17the century) with a pitched roof. The pediment of this south porch contains a fresco of the Transfiguration with Jesus flanked by Moses and Elijah. The fresco is edged with an ornamental band of polychrome ceramic tiles. In addition to ceramic work, the facades display decorative window surrounds. Visible at the southeast corner (far right) is a chapel capped with a tall “tent” tower. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Вход в церковь Иоанна Златоуста (с юго-зап.). Ярославль
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: March 3, 2017