General View of the Church of Saint John Chrysostom, in Korovniki (From the Mill) from the Southwest. Yaroslavl

Description

In 1911, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled to the middle Volga region and spent time in the medieval centers of Yaroslavl and Kostroma. This stunning view toward the east was taken from a flour mill, and shows the church ensemble at Korovniki, a district of Yaroslavl near the confluence of the Kotorosl and Volga Rivers. On the left is the Church of Saint John Chrysostom, the basic structure of which was built in 1649–54 with support from the merchants Fedor and Ivan Nezhdanovskii. The base of the church features one-story galleries and porches on the north, west and south facades. The east corners have attached chapels with tall “tent” towers. In the center background is the Holy Gate (circa 1700), which led from the church precinct to the Volga, visible beyond. To the right is an octagonal bell tower dating from the 1670s known as the “Yaroslavl Candle”. Behind it is the whitewashed Church of the Vladimir Icon of the Virgin, a smaller church built in 1669 for worship in the winter. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

Общий вид церкви Иоанна Златоуста в Коровниках (с мельницы), с юго-запада. Ярославль

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)

Notes

  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.

Last updated: March 3, 2017