Iconostasis in the Winter Church of the Fedorov Mother of God. Yaroslavl
In 1911, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled to the middle Volga region and spent time in the medieval centers of Yaroslavl and Kostroma. Shown here is the central part of the first row of the iconostasis in the Church of the Feodor Icon of the Mother of God, built in 1682–87 near the right bank of the Kotorosl River in Yaroslavl. Sponsored by wealthy parishoners, the lavish iconostasis was begun in 1705. The Royal Gate in the center was carved by Vasilii Komar and leads to the main altar in the apse at the eastern part of the church. The medallions in the top and bottom rows display the four Evangelists, while the center row shows the Annunciation (Gabriel speaking to Mary). Above is an image of Lord God Sabaoth. To the right is a large icon of the Savior. The row above contains smaller square icons depicting holy days, such as the Crucifixion (on left). The Royal Gate arch is flanked by statues of angels. The elaborate carving includes twisted columns in the grapevine pattern. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Иконостас в зимней церкви Федоровской Божьей Матери. Ярославль
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: March 3, 2017