(Summer) Church of the Fedorov Mother of God. Yaroslavl
In 1911, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled to the middle Volga region and spent time in the medieval centers of Yaroslavl and Kostroma. Shown here is a southwest view of the Church of the Feodor Icon of the Mother of God, a remarkable example of Yaroslavl church architecture built in 1682–87. Parishioners provided funds for its construction and drew plans based on the nearby Ascension Church, which was completed in 1682. Professional builders completed the complex upper structure, beginning with a low four-sloped roof placed above semicircular decorative gables. The result was a highly distinctive form in which the main structure serves as a base for five elongated onion domes elevated on slender drums. Indeed, the height of the central drum and dome, including its cross, considerably exceeds that of the basic structure—22 meters opposed to 14 meters. At the center of the west facade is a decorated porch, located in front of the main entrance. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Церковь Федоровской Божьей Матери (летняя). Ярославль
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: March 3, 2017