Pictures from the 1603 Gospel. In the Vestry of the Ipatevskii Monastery. Kostroma

Description

In 1911, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) visited the town of Kostroma and photographed at the Trinity-Ipat’evskii Monastery. The monastery received lavish gifts during the 16th century from the Godunov family, which produced Tsar Boris Godunov (1552–1605). The Godunovs considered the founder of the monastery to be their Tatar ancestor Murza Chet, who in 1330 left the Mongol Golden Horde for the court of Muscovite Prince Ivan Kalita. He was said to have accepted Christianity after seeing a vision of Mary flanked by Saints Philip and Hypatius. This photograph shows an illumination from the monastery treasury depicting the Last Supper from a 1603 copy of the Gospels. In the illumination, Christ, seated on the left, is approached by Judas. The illumination has a decorative floral border. The volume was a donation from Ivan Ivanovich Godunov, the sole son of Ivan Vasilevich Godunov and a cousin twice removed of Tsar Boris. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire on the eve of the Russian Revolution. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.

Date Created

Subject Date

Language

Title in Original Language

Снимки из Евангелия 1603-го года. В ризнице Ипатьевскаго монастыря. Кострома

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)

Notes

  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.

Last updated: January 11, 2017