Miter of the Patriarch Adrian. In the Vestry of the Ipatevskii Monastery. Kostroma
In 1911, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) returned to Kostroma, a town he had visited the year before, and did further work at the Trinity-Ipat’evskii Monastery. Founded as early as the late 13th century, the monastery flourished thanks to lavish gifts during the 16th century from the Godunov family, which produced Tsar Boris Godunov (1552–1605). Seen here is the mitre of Patriarch Adrian (1627–1700), who served from 1690 until his death as the last Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia before Peter the Great replaced the patriarchate with the institution of the Holy Synod. In 1691, Adrian gave the mitre to Tarasii, archimandrite of the Galich Zaozerskii Monastery. With the monastery’s closure in 1764, the mitre was conveyed to the treasury of the Ipat’evskii Monastery. Following the Russian Orthodox tradition, the mitre is bulbous in form. Its base is trimmed with ermine. The upper part is decorated with panels bordered with pearls and depicting Christ, the Mother of God and various saints. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire on the eve of the Russian Revolution. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Митра Патриарха Адриана. В ризнице Ипатьевскаго монастыря. Кострома
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: January 11, 2017