Entrance into the Nikolskaia Church in the Makarev Monastery
In the late summer of 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) made a trip down the Volga River. He photographed religious monuments along the route, including the Trinity Saint Makarii Unzha Monastery, located on the Unzha River in what is now the town of Makaryev. The monastery was founded in 1439 by the monk Makarii after an earlier retreat that he had founded in 1435 was destroyed by Kazan Tatars. This earlier site subsequently became the Trinity Saint Makarii Zheltovodskii Monastery. Shown here is an east view of the Church of Saint Nicholas, completed in 1685 over the Holy Gate at the monastery’s east entrance. The exterior is painted in a diamond rustication pattern favored in the Kostroma region during the late 17th century. Above the arches are 19th–century wall paintings, including the Old Testament Trinity in the center. This story, which tells how three angels appeared to Abraham and Sarah, is told in Genesis, chapter 18. The arches support the apse, which contains the main altar. Visible in the background are the cupolas of the Trinity Cathedral (1664–70). Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire on the eve of the Russian Revolution. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Вход в Никольскую церковь в Макарьевском монастыре
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: January 8, 2018