View of the City of Kineshma from the East
In the late summer of 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) made a trip down the Volga River. During the journey, he photographed Kineshma, located on the river’s right bank. Kineshma was first referred to in 1429, when it was devastated by a Tatar raid. It was later sacked by Polish-Lithuanian forces in 1612 during a dynastic crisis and civil war known as the Time of Troubles. Beginning in the middle of the 18th century, Kineshma developed into a textile center. The completion of a rail line from Moscow in 1871 complemented the town’s role as a large river port. This view from the northeast shows streets of primarily wooden houses punctuated with churches of whitewashed brick. From the left center the churches are: Annuciation (built in 1805), Resurrection (1720; demolished in the early 1930s), and Elevation of the Cross (1744; demolished in 1974). Visible through the trees on the left is a bridge across the Kineshemka River, a small right tributary of the Volga. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire on the eve of the Russian Revolution. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Вид на г. Кинешму с востока
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: January 11, 2017