Church of the Kazan Mother of God, in Feodor Stratilat Monastery. Pereiaslavl-Zalesskii
In the summer of 1911, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled to the ancient town of Pereslavl-Zalesskiy. The town was founded in 1152 by Prince Yury Dolgorukii, who is also considered the founder of Moscow. It was established in 1147. This image shows a north view of the Church of the Kazan Icon of the Virgin, built in 1714 for the infirmary of the Feodorovsky Monastery. The site on which the monastery stands is traditionally thought to have been the place of an intense battle between Moscow and Tver on June 8, 1304. In the Orthodox Church calendar, this day is dedicated to Saint Theodore Stratilates, a Roman officer martyred for his Christian faith in 319 and considered the patron saint of warriors. In gratitude for his victory, Prince Yury Danilovich of Moscow established the monastery and dedicated it to Saint Theodore Stratilates. The name “Theodore” is “Feodor” in Russian. The monastery was patronized by Ivan the Terrible and Peter the Great, during whose reign this modest church was built. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire on the eve of the Russian Revolution. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Церковь во имя Казанской Божьей Матери в монастыре Федора Стратилата. Переяславль-Залесский
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: January 11, 2017