Epiphany Monastery for Women. Kostroma
Shown here is the southwest corner of the New Epiphany Cathedral at the Epiphany-Saint Anastasia Convent in the city of Kostroma. The cathedral originally was founded as the Epiphany Monastery in the early 15th century. The cathedral was rebuilt in brick in the 1560s. During the same period Anastasia Romanovna, the beloved first wife of Ivan the Terrible, established a monastery dedicated to Saint Anastasia. The two institutions later were merged, and in 1863 the territory of the Epiphany Monastery was granted to the revived Epiphany-Saint Anastasia Convent. Shortly thereafter, the original 16th-century cathedral was enveloped on the south, west, and north sides by a larger structure known as the New Epiphany Cathedral, which now serves as the city’s main cathedral. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many parts of the empire. During a trip down the Volga River from Uglich to Yaroslavl’ in 1910, he made a number of photographs of the historic city of Kostroma.
Title in Original Language
Богоявленский женский монастырь. Кострома
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 23, 2016