Trinity Cathedral. Kostroma
In the late summer of 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) made a trip down the Volga River from Uglich to Yaroslavl. During the trip, he photographed religious monuments in the town of Kostroma. Shown here is a southwest view of the Cathedral of the Trinity. Built in 1645–50 near the Epiphany Monastery, this structure was among the most distinctive of the many churches in Kostroma, whose merchants flourished in the 17th century thanks to trade on the Volga. The unusual upper structure has an ornamental cornice supporting three levels of semicircular decorative gables (zakomary). Visible within the first row of zakomary are painted figures of saints. The stucco facades are rose-colored with white trim. The church culminates in five decorated drums and cupolas. Extending from the west façade is an ornamented bell tower with an array of bronze bells. In the foreground is a smaller church built in 1786 for winter worship. This beautiful ensemble was destroyed in 1935. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire on the eve of the Russian Revolution. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Троицкий собор. Кострома
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: January 11, 2017