Detail of the Trinity Cathedral. Kostroma
Shown here is a southeast view of the Cathedral of the Trinity in the historic city of Kostroma. Built in 1645–50 near the Epiphany Monastery, this structure was among the most distinctive of the many churches in Kostroma, whose merchants flourished in the 17th century with the Volga trade. Of particular interest is the unusual resolution of the upper structure, where the ornamental cornice supports not one but three levels of decorative zakomary (semicircular figures). Visible here within the first row of zakomary are painted figures of saints. The facades appear to be rose-colored with white trim. The church culminates in five decorated drums and cupolas. This important monument was destroyed in 1935. To the left is a smaller church built in 1786 for winter worship. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many parts of the empire. During a trip down the Volga River from Uglich to Yaroslavl’ in 1910, Prokudin-Gorskii made a number of photographs of Kostroma.
Title in Original Language
Деталь Троицкаго собора. Кострома
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 23, 2016