Study. In the Courtyard of the Church of the Resurrection. Kostroma
In the late summer of 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) made a trip down the Volga River from Uglich to Yaroslavl. During the trip, he took a number of photographs in Kostroma. Seen here is a northwest view of the elaborately decorated Church of the Resurrection in the Thicket (na debre), built of brick in 1630–45. Frescoes were painted on the interior in 1650–52. The structure was the first major church in Kostroma to be commissioned by the town’s merchants and tradesmen, who presumably favored its dense ornamentation. Seen here is one of the elaborate entrance structures attached to three of the church facades. Each structure consisted of a porch cointaining a stairway that led to the main floor of the church. The façade contains recessed panels and curious arched figures that enclose high relief balusters. The upper panel displays a carved double-headed eagle. The arch at the top is decorated with an intricate band. An elderly woman looks from the space at the base of the porch. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire on the eve of the Russian Revolution. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Этюд. Во дворе церкви Воскресения. [Кострома]
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: January 11, 2017