Confluence of the Kostroma River with the Volga
In the late summer of 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) made a trip down the Volga River from Uglich to Yaroslavl. During the trip, he took a number of photographs in Kostroma, with emphasis on the Trinity-Ipat’evskii Monastery. This view, taken on the right bank of the Kostroma River at the monastery, looks toward the river’s confluence with the Volga, visible in the distance. On the left is the Church of the Nativity of Christ, originally built in the 17th century and rebuilt in 1702. The main part of Kostroma, which had 45,000 inhabitants in 1910, is located beyond the left edge of this view. A boat landing is visible on the left bank. In the foreground are log rafts that could be broken apart for timber processing. The solidity and buoyancy of these rafts is evident from the log house that can be seen resting on the raft to the right. Numerous factory smokestacks indicate the development of industry along this part of the middle Volga River. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire on the eve of the Russian Revolution. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Впадение р. Костромы в Волгу
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: January 11, 2017