Tver. Confluence of the Tvertsa and Volga Rivers; Saint Catherine's Church in the Center
In 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) photographed in the region around Tver. This ancient city, first mentioned in 1135, is located on the Volga River to the northwest of Moscow. This view north toward the left bank of the Volga River shows the Church of Saint Catherine. Begun in 1774 with the support of Catherine the Great, the church was consecrated in 1781 and contained a second altar, dedicted to Saint Nicholas. The one-story refectory attached at the west side of the church was expanded in 1805–13 with the addition of a south altar dedicated to the Nativity of John the Baptist. The bell tower was apparently rebuilt when a narthex was added in 1835. The ensemble is fronted by parish buildings, with an imposing gate in the center. The church was damaged during World War II and used as a garage during the Soviet period, but has been handsomely restored and is now the nucleus of the Saint Catherine Convent. At the far left is the mouth of the Tvertsa River. Wooden skiffs line the riverbank. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire on the eve of the Russian Revolution. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
[Тверь, место впадения Тверцы в Волгу, в центре Екатериненская церковь]
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: January 11, 2017