Site of the Confluence of the Shosha River with the Volga River
In 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) photographed in the Tver region, northwest of Moscow. This photograph shows the confluence of the Shosha River with the Volga at a point some 10 kilometers southeast of the village of Gorodnia. A right tributary of the Volga, the Shosha was some 160 kilometers long, but much of that length was submerged in 1937 by the creation of the Ivan’kovskoye Reservoir, which in turn links the Moscow Canal with the Volga River. The point of confluence between the rivers, shown here, was marked by log bulwarks (breakwaters) that lessened erosion and maintained the channels for navigation. Such details would have been of interest to the Ministry of Transportation, which was the photographer’s primary patron in these years. In the foreground are two wooden skiffs. A white buoy floats just beyond the skiff on the right. The Volga at this point already has a majestic sweep, although it has yet to meet its major tributaries, the Oka and the Kama. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire on the eve of the Russian Revolution. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Место впадения р. Шоши в Волгу
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: January 11, 2017