Village of Vidogoshchi, Thirty-Seven Versts from Tver
In 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) photographed in the region around Tver, including in the village of Vidogoshchi, located on the left bank of the Volga River some 35 kilometers southeast of Tver. This view shows a broad plowed field of sandy loam. In the distance is the village. The Church of Saint Nicholas can be seen in the grove to the left. The church was originally part of the Saint Nicholas-Vidogozhskii Monastery, founded in the 15th century. At that time, the monastery benefited from the prosperity of Vertiazin (later known as Gorodnia) just across the river. As that town declined, so did the monastery, which came under the control of Moscow’s Donskoi Monastery in 1680. The Saint Nicholas Monastery was closed in 1764 during Catherine the Great’s secularization of monastic holdings. Little was left of its buildings; but the village managed to revive its parish in 1840, and a brick church was completed in 1881. Its two altars were dedicated to Saint Nicholas and to the Don Icon of the Virgin. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire on the Russian Revolution. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Село Видогощи в 37 в. от Твери
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: January 11, 2017