Pokrov Church in Sukharin, Korchevskoi County, Tver Province
In 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) photographed in the region around Tver. This ancient city, first mentioned in 1135, is located on the Volga River to the northwest of Moscow. This photograph shows a southeast view of the Church of Saint Nicholas in Kapustniki, located in the northwestern part of the Tver kremlin on a bank overlooking the confluence of the T’maka and Volga Rivers. Originally built around 1670, the church was damaged by fire in 1736 and reconstructed over a period that lasted until 1759. The church was damaged again in a fire that swept though much of central Tver in 1763. It was repaired in 1766, and a new bell tower was added at the west end. Both the church and the bell tower are decorated in a late provincial baroque style. On the right is a square apse containing the main altar. Disfigured during the 1930s, the structure was demolished in 1954 to clear space for construction of the Khimik Stadium. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire on the eve of the Russian Revolution. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
[Покровская церковь в Сухарино, Корчевской уезд Тверской губернии]
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: January 11, 2017