Zheltikov Monastery in Tver'
In the summer of 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled and photographed extensively in Tver’ Province northwest of Moscow. Among the places he visited was the Dormition-Zheltikov Monastery on the Tmaka River near Tver’. Established in 1394 by Bishop Arsenii of Tver’, the monastery gained its first masonry building, the Dormition Cathedral, in 1406. After the founding of Saint Petersburg in 1703, the monstery served as a transit palace for the ruling family in trips between the new capital and Moscow. Peter the Great frequently visited the monastery, and his son, Tsarevich Aleksei, had chambers there. This view taken from the west centers on the Church of Saint Aleksii, Man of God, built in 1709. To the right is the main dome of the Dormition Cathedral, which was rebuilt in 1713–22. Also visible is a bell tower (1709). On the left are corner towers of the monastery walls. The Aleksii Church was razed in 1931, and most of the other buildings were demolished during World War II. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
[Церковь Пресвятой Богородицы. Село Городня (35 в.от Твери)]
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: January 11, 2017