Two Carved Wooden Pictures of the Korchev District. In the Tver Museum


Tver is an ancient city (first mentioned in 1135) on the Volga River to the northwest of Moscow. Opened in 1866, the Tver Museum included works of art and crafts. In 1897 the museum was allocated space in the Imperial Transit Palace. Nationalized in 1918, the museum was given the entire Transit Palace in 1921. It remained there until World War II, when it was severely damaged during the German occupation of Tver in the fall of 1941. Seen here are two wooden panels with painted relief carving from the Korchevskii District. The upper panel depicts the celebration at a peasant wedding, while the lower panel shows the couple being blessed with an icon. The panels combine the folk art of wood carving with an academic painterly style. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire. In 1910 his work included the photographing of a number of exhibits in the Tver Museum.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

Две резныя из дерева картины Корчевскаго уезда. В Тверском музее

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)


  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at

Last updated: September 23, 2016