Board with an Inscription on the External Wall of the Cathedral of the Transfiguration, in Tver, Where the Relics of the Saint Mikhail, Prince of Tver, Rest


This carved stone tablet commemorates the remains of Prince Mikhail Yaroslavich of Tver (1271–1318), placed in Tver’s Cathedral of the Transfiguration. Both Mikhail and his main rival, prince Yury Danilovich of Moscow, had been summoned by the ruler of the Golden Horde, Uzbeg Khan, to settle a dispute. Yury arrived first, which enabled him to sway Uzbeg Khan’s decision in his favor, which led to the arrest of Mikhail in the summer of 1318 and his subsequent murder. In 1549 Mikhail was canonized as a martyr whose death spared his subjects a punitive Tatar raid, and his relics were consecrated in 1632. The historic Cathedral of the Transfiguration, rebuilt in 1689–96 to replace its 13th-century predecessor, was demolished in the 1930s and the relics disappeared. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire. In 1910 Prokudin-Gorskii visited the region of Tver, northwest of Moscow.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

Доска с надписью на наружн. стене Преображенскаго собора в Твери, где покоились мощи Св. кн. Михаила Тверского

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)


  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at

Last updated: September 23, 2016