Holy Trinity Church. The Oldest in the Territory, in the Village Peremerki near Tver

Description

In the summer of 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled and photographed extensively in Tver’ Province northwest of Moscow. Among the towns he visited was Zubtsov, located at the confluence of the Vazuza and Volga Rivers. First referred to in medieval chronicles under the year 1216, Zubstov was absorbed into Muscovy in 1485 together with the Tver’ Principality. Seen here is a south view of the wooden Church of the Ascension, originally built in town, and then moved in 1873 to a cemetery on Moscow (formerly Polustova) Hill. The main space of the church is crowned with an octagonal structure supporting a metal roof and small cupola. In a typical pattern, a bell tower was erected over the main entrance at the west of the one-story vestibule. The log walls were covered with plank siding and are here festooned with fir boughs, probably for Trinity week in the first part of June. The church festival of the Ascension, 40 days after Easter, was also in early June. The church was destroyed during World War II. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

Церковь Св. Троицы. Самая древняя в крае, в с. Перемерки около Твери

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)

Notes

  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.

Last updated: January 11, 2017