Boris-Gleb Monastery, from the South. Torzhok
This 1910 photograph was taken in the ancient town of Torzhok, situated on the Tvertsa River some 60 kilometers to the west of Tver. Mentioned in written sources as early as 1139, Torzhok became a center of trade and culture in medieval Russia. The dominant architectural feature of the town is the Monastery of Saints Boris and Gleb, reputed to have been founded in 1083 and dedicated to the earliest martyrs of the Russian Orthodox Church. This view is taken from the north (not the south, as stated in the caption), probably from the rotunda of the Church of the Entry of Christ into Jerusalem, which like the monastery is located on the right bank of the Tvertsa River. Visible here is the northeast corner tower, known as the Svechnaia (Candle) or Library Tower, rebuilt in the 1880s by the architect S.I. Grebenshchikov. On the far right is the dome of the Cathedral of Saints Boris and Gleb, built in 1785–96 to a design by the prominent neoclassical architect Nikolai L’vov (1753–1803). On the left beyond the monastery is the Church of the Resurrection. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Борисоглебский монастырь с юга. [Торжок]
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 23, 2016