Old Church of the Tikhvin Mother of God on the Right Bank of the Tvertsa River. Torzhok
In the summer of 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled and photographed extensively in Tver’ Province northwest of Moscow. Among the towns he visited was Torzhok, located 60 kilometers west of Tver’ and referred to in written sources as early as 1139. Seen here is the wooden Church of the Tikhvin Icon of the Mother of God, located on the high right (west) bank of the Tvertsa River. Built in the 1650s and rebuilt of pine logs in 1717, this remarkable tiered tower structure rises 34 meters and was originally dedicated to the Ascension. Frequently modified, the church gained a narthex built at the west end of the vestibule in 1806. In 1852–54, a masonry Ascension Church was built nearby, and the wooden church fell into disrepair. By virtue of its unusual, archaic form, local clergy were persuaded to repair the church, which was reconsecrated in 1883 to the Tikhvin Icon. During restoration efforts in the late 1970s much of the plank siding visible here was removed, as was the narthex. Restoration work resumed in 2007. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Старинная церковь Тихвинской Божьей Матери на правом берегу Тверцы. [Торжок]
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: January 11, 2017