View of the City of Torzhok from the Rampart. Visible Are the Churches of Saint Georgii and the Assumption of the Holy Mother of God
In the summer of 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled and photographed extensively in Tver’ Province northwest of Moscow. Among the towns he visited was visited Torzhok, located on the Tvertsa River about 60 kilometers west of Tver’. Referred to in written sources as early as 1139, Torzhok is among Russia’s oldest trading centers; the name “Torzhok” comes from the word for trading site. After the founding of Saint Petersburg in 1703, Torzhok saw a renewal of its fortunes as a transit center to the new capital. This view northwest from the old town rampart on the west (right) bank of the Tvertsa shows the center of the commercial district with 18th and 19th-century masonry houses and enclosed courtyards as well as trading rows and shops. In the background are groups of parish churches, including (from left): the Church of Saint George, with five decorative cupolas; the dome and bell tower of the Church of the Icon of the Sign; the Church of the Purification; and the Church of the Dormition, with five cupolas that were destroyed during the Soviet period. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Вид с крепостного вала на г. Торжок. Видны церкви Св. Георгия и Успения Пресвятой Богородицы
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: January 11, 2017