City of Staritsa. General View with the Volga River

Description

traveled and photographed extensively in Tver’ Province northwest of Moscow, including in the town of Staritsa, the population of which in that year was 6,654. Located near the confluence of the Staritsa River with the Volga, Staritsa was founded in 1297 as a fortress by Prince Mikhail Yaroslavich of Tver’ (1272–1318). The town was absorbed into Muscovy in 1485. This panoramic south view up the Volga includes the river’s right (east) bank with the Dormition Monastery on the left, and the left (west) bank with the town market square in the center. The central market, with its arcaded trading buildings, is framed from the left by the Church of Saint Nicholas (1784–1814, with a bell tower erected in 1843) and the Church of the Nativity of the Virgin (1750), also known as the Church of Saint Paraskeva Pyatnitsa. Visible in the middle background is the Church of the Ascension. The two banks are connected by a wooden pontoon bridge. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

г. Старица. Общий вид с Волгой

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)

Notes

  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.

Last updated: January 13, 2017