Plashchanitsa Shroud with Image of Christ, Embroidered by Anastasiia Romanova (Iureva Zakhareva, First Wife of Ivan the Terrible, 1547) in 1543, and Patriarch Iov's Epigonation. Staritsa Assumption Monastery
In the summer of 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled and photographed extensively in Tver’ Province northwest of Moscow including in the town of Staritsa, located near the confluence of the Staritsa River with the Volga. Its major religious institution was the Dormition Monastery, revived in the early 16th century by Prince Andrei Ioannovich of Staritsa. This photograph shows sacred relics from the monastery, including a burial shroud sewn in 1543 by Anastasia Romanovna Zakharina-Yureva, who in 1547 became the first wife of Ivan IV (Ivan the Terrible). Also shown is an embroidered vestment known as a palitsa or epigonation, worn as a symbol of high office by an Orthodox prelate, in this case by Job, who served as the first Patriarch of the Russian Orthodox Church from 1589 to 1605. The palitsa was suspended from the waist and worn over the knee. Job, who was glorified as a saint by the Russian Orthodox Church in 1989, died at the Dormition Monastery in 1607 and was buried there until his remains were reinterred in the Dormition Cathedral of the Moscow Kremlin. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Плащаница, вышитая Анастасией Романовой (Юрьевой Захарьевой перв. супр. Иоанна Грознаго 1547) в 1543 г. и палица Патриарха Иова. [Успенский Старицкий монастырь]
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: January 13, 2017