Resting Place of Patriarch Iov, Staritsa Assumption Monastery

Description

In the summer of 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled and photographed extensively in Tver’ Province northwest of Moscow. Among the towns he visited was Staritsa, located near the confluence of the Staritsa River with the Volga. Its major religious institution was the Dormition Monastery. This photograph shows the former tomb of Saint Job, the first Russian prelate to hold the title of Patriarch. Job served in the role from 1589–1605, and his tenure was a turbulent time in Russian history. After the death of Boris Godunov in 1605, Job refused to support the claims to the throne of the first False Dmitrii. Supporters of the pretender denounced Job, and he was subsequently exiled to the Dormition Monastery, where he died in 1607. He was buried at the site of the monastery’s Dormition Cathedral bell tower. Although his remains were reburied in the Dormition Cathedral of the Moscow Kremlin in 1652, the original burial was commemorated when the bell tower was rebuilt (circa 1684). Job was recognized as a saint by the Russian Orthodox Church in 1989. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

Место упокоение [sic] Патриарха Иова. Успенский Старицкий монастырь

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)

Notes

  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.

Last updated: January 13, 2017