Staritsa Assumption Monastery. View from the Site of an Old Town
In the summer of 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled and photographed extensively in Tver’ Province. Among the towns he visited was Staritsa, the population of which in that year was 6,654. Located near the confluence of the Staritsa River with the Volga at the eastern edge of the Valdai Hills, Staritsa was founded in 1297 as a fortress by Prince Mikhail Yaroslavich of Tver’ (1272-1318). The town was absorbed into Muscovy in 1485. This northeast view across the Volga shows the Dormition Monastery, founded around 1100, destroyed during a Tatar raid in 1292 and revived in the early 16th century by Prince Andrei Ioannovich of Staritsa. Seen from right is the Dormition Tower over the Holy Gates (1885), the southwest corner tower, the Dormition Cathedral (1530s), the refectory Church of the Presentation (1570), and the Church of Saint John the Divine over the west gate. On the left just beyond the monastery is the Church of the Resurrection (1784). Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Успенский Старицкий монастырь. Вид с городища
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: January 13, 2017