Most Likely the View from Polustovaia Hill to the Volga near Zubtsov

Description

In the early summer of 1910, Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) traveled and photographed extensively in Tver’ Province northwest of Moscow. Among the towns he visited was Zubtsov, located at the confluence of the Vazuza and Volga Rivers. This view east down the Volga River was taken from Moscow (formerly Polustova) Hill across the river from Zubtsov. An ancient path winds its way eastward at the bottom of the steep right bank. A skiff rests on the placid surface of the water, while a figure stands on the sandy bank. Just visible in the pine forest across the river is the cupola of the Church of the Kazan Icon of the Virgin in the Woods, built in 1788 and no longer standing. Enlarged by its merger with the Vazuza, at this point, the Volga still has some 3,500 kilometers to travel before its entry into the Caspian Sea. The photographer frequently made such panoramas, both for their intrinsic beauty and for the information that they provided about Russia’s waterways. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

[Предположительно вид с Полустовой горы на Волгу возле Зубцова]

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)

Notes

  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.

Last updated: January 13, 2017