City of Rzhev. Part of Prince Fedor's and Prince Dmitrii's Sides of the City with the Assumption of the Mother of God Church
In the early summer of 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) photographed extensively in Tver’ Province northwest of Moscow. Among the towns he visited was Rzhev, the population of which in that year was 22,400. In the medieval period, Rzhev frequently changed hands between Lithuania and different Russian principalities. In 1521 it was finally absorbed by Muscovy. The river divided the town into two parts known as Prince Fyodor and Prince Dmitrii, after the son and nephew respectively of Prince Boris of Tver’, who ruled the town in the mid-15th century. Seen here is part of the Prince Fyodor side (left bank) with the bell tower and Cathedral of the Dormition (1754). Below it is the Chapel of the Iberian Icon—both destroyed during World War II. To the right is the Prince Dmitrii side with the Church of the Vladimir Icon (no longer extant) and in the distance the Trinity Church in Teterino. Over the river is a wooden pontoon bridge, which was replaced with a stone bridge in 1911. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
г. Ржев. Часть Княз-Федоровской и Князь-Дмитриевской сторон с Собором Успения Божьей Матери
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: January 13, 2017