View of Svetlitsa Island from the West. Lake Seliger
In the early summer of 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) visited Tver’ Province northwest of Moscow. One of the region’s major religious institutions is the Saint Nil-Stolobenskii Monastery (Nilo-Stolobenskaia pustyn’), situated on Stolobnyi Island in Lake Seliger. In 1594, Job, the first Patriarch of Moscow, sanctioned the founding of a monastery on the island where the venerable ascetic Nil (Nilus) lived for 27 years until his death in December 1554. This view north, taken from a sandspit on Voron’i Island south of the monastery, shows the Church of the Archangel Michael at the village of Svetlitsa on a peninsula of the same name. Built in 1826–28 near a ford to Stolobnyi Island, the neoclassical structure is crowned with a large rotunda and dome. To the left is a wooden causeway to the monastery. In the early 1930s, the Church of the Archangel Michael and the Church of John the Baptist on Stolobnyi Island were razed for brick to build a bridge to the island. The bridge was not completed. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Вид на Светлицу с запада. [озеро Селигер]
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: January 13, 2017