Trinity Cathedral in Ostashkov
In May 1910, Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) photographed extensively in the Ostashkov region of Tver Province. Ostashkov is located in the southern part of Lake Seliger and was thus connected both to the Volga River basin and to Novgorod Velikii in the northwest. This advantage led at the end of the 17th century to major growth, which was reflected in the construction of two cathedrals. Seen here is a southwest view of the Trinity Cathedral, begun in 1685 and consecrated in 1697. It has now been restored to its original form, whose main structure culminated in semicircular decorative gables (zakomary) supporting five cupolas. Added to the structure was a one-story gallery with four secondary chapels (partially visible here) dedicated to the Saint Paraskeva Piatnitsa, the Okovetskii Icon, Saint George, and Saint Nicholas. During the 18th and 19th centuries, the cathedral was frequently modified and gained the neoclassical pediments seen here. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Собор Пр. Троицы в Житном монастыре
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: October 3, 2016