Site of the Source of the Western Dvina near the Village of Kariakino Three Versts from Lake Peno in Tver Province, Ostashkov District. Volga River Region


In May 1910, Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) photographed in the Ostashkov area of Tver Province. Shown here is the source of the Daugava River (also known as the Western Dvina) near the village of Koriakino some 11 versts from Lake Peno. The verst was an old Russian unit of measure equal to roughly 1.1 kilometers. The stream flows into Lake Koriakino, where it becomes the Dvinets River, which enters Lake Okhvat, considered the source of the Daugava proper. The Daugava flows 1,020 kilometers through the northeastern part of Belarus before entering Latvia, where it empties into the Gulf of Riga. In 1912, Prokudin-Gorskii photographed many other parts of the river in conjunction with the observance of the centennial of the 1812 Napoleonic invasion. This site, surrounded by tall firs, is not far from the source of the Volga River (at Lake Peno), which Prokudin-Gorskii also photographed. Seated near the spring is a peasant in a faded red shirt who presumably served as a guide. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.

Date Created

Subject Date

Title in Original Language

Место истока Зап. Двины около дер. Карякино в 3-х верст. от оз. Пено Тверск. губ. Осташковск. уезда. Район Волги

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)


  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at

Last updated: October 7, 2016