Above Entrance to Gauk Man Medrese. Bukhara
The Gaukushon complex in Buhkara (present-day Uzbekistan) consists of a religious school (madrasah), a mosque, and a minaret. Shown here is the upper part of the iwan (main entrance arch) of the two-story Gaukushon, or Hodja, Mosque. The structure was built in 1598, the final year of the reign of Abdulla-khan II (1534–98), the last effective ruler of the Sheibanid dynasty. (The Gaukushon madrasah had been built in 1570.) Although severely damaged over time, the mosque facade shows remnants of the once-brilliant surface of ceramic tiles in elaborate geometric and floral patterns with intertwining tendrils. The horizontal panel at the top contains ceramic fragments of a Perso-Arabic inscription in the Thuluth cursive style. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire. In 1911 his travels took him to an area of Central Asia then known as Turkestan, where he photographed the ancient monuments of Bukhara.
Title in Original Language
Над входом в медрессе Гаук ман. Бухара
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: September 30, 2016