Pozharskii Hotel in Torzhok


In 1910, Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) visited Torzhok, among the oldest settlements in central Russia. Referred to in written sources as early as 1139, Torzhok is situated on the Osuga River some 60 kilometers to the west of Tver. Its favorable location stimulated medieval trade (the name “Torzhok” comes from the word for trading site). After the founding of Saint Petersburg in 1703, Torzhok saw a revival of its fortunes, as the town served as a transit center for supplies moving to the new imperial capital. Among the many luminaries who stopped there was poet Alexander Pushkin, who gave much praise to the Pozharskii Hotel shown here. The sign on the balcony over the entrance proclaims “Hotel and rooms for arrivals of A. G. Barskov, formerly Fediukhin-Pozharskii.” On the right is the Warsaw Store and a small cinema. Long under restoration as a museum, the landmark was severely damaged by fire in 2002. The street is partially paved with cobblestones. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.

Date Created

Subject Date


Title in Original Language

Гостиница Пожарского в Торжке

Type of Item

Physical Description

Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)


  • Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.

Last updated: October 7, 2016