Grave of Tuchkova and Her Son in a Church She Built in Spaso-Borodinskii Monastery. Borodino
In 1911–12, in connection with the centenary of the Napoleonic campaign against Russia, Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) photographed sites along the invasion route. Foremost among them was the Borodino battlefield, where the Russian and French armies clashed on September 7, 1812. This photograph was taken on the interior of the Church of the Miraculous Image of the Savior, erected in 1818–20 as a battle memorial with funds gathered by Margarita Tuchkova (1780–1852), whose husband, General Alexander Tuchkov, was killed during the Borodino battle. Shown here are the graves of Margarita and her son, Nicholas (1811–26). The church served as the nucleus of a religious community that in 1838 was formally recognized as the Savior-Borodino Convent. After a series of family losses, Margarita devoted her life to good works and was tonsured as the nun Maria in 1840. That same year she became abbess of the convent. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Могила Тучковой с сыном в построенной ею церкви в Спасо-Бородинском мон. Бородино
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: November 1, 2016