Lodge in Spaso-Borodinskii Monastery in Borodin, Where the Founder of the Monaster, Tuchkov, Lived. Borodino
In 1911–12, in connection with the centenary of the Napoleonic campaign against Russia, Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) photographed sites along the invasion route. Foremost among them was the Borodino battlefield, where the Russian and French armies clashed on September 7, 1812. Shown here is the watchman’s house at the Savior-Borodino Convent, located at the center of the battlefield near the village of Semenovskoe. The modest structure was built next to the Church of the Miraculous Image of the Savior, erected in 1818–20 as a battle memorial with funds gathered by Margarita Tuchkova, whose husband, General Alexander Tuchkov, was killed during the Borodino battle. Margarita and her son, Nicholas (1811–26), stayed in the house during their visits to the church. After her son’s death, she retired to the house and initiated a religious community that in 1838 was formally recognized as the Savior-Borodino Convent. Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Сторожка в Спасо-Бородинском монастыре, где жила основательница монастыря Тучкова. Бородино
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: November 1, 2016