Spaso-Borodinskii Monastery in Borodino. View from the Village of Semenovskoe. Borodino
In 1911–12, in connection with the centenary of the Napoleonic campaign against Russia, Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944) photographed sites along the invasion route. Foremost among them was the Borodino battlefield, where the Russian and French armies clashed on September 7, 1812. Shown here is a north view of the Savior-Borodino (Spaso-Borodinskii) Convent, located at the center of the battlefield near the village of Semenovskoe. The convent was granted formal status in 1838 through the initiative of Margarita Tuchkova, whose husband, General Alexander Tuchkov, died on the battlefield. During the latter half of the 19th century, the convent became a shrine to Russian military valor. The main cathedral (1851–59) is dedicated to the Vladimir Icon of the Virgin, believed to have caused the retreat of the conqueror Tamerlane from Russia in 1395. In the foreground is the north gate and Church of the Decapitation of John the Baptist (1874). Prokudin-Gorskii used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of his photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire.
Title in Original Language
Спасо-Бородинский монастырь. Вид от деревни Семеновское. Бородино
Type of Item
Glass negative (presented as a digital color composite)
- Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographic work survives primarily in two forms: 1,901 black-and-white triple-frame glass plate negatives, made with color separation filters, which Prokudin-Gorskii used to make color prints and lantern slides; and 12 albums of sepia-tone prints, made from the glass negatives, which Prokudin-Gorskii compiled as a record of his travels and studies. The Library of Congress purchased the glass plate negatives and the albums from the Prokudin-Gorskii family in 1948. In 2004, the Library of Congress had digital color composites made from all the surviving glass negatives using a software algorithm to automatically align the color components. As with most historical photographs, title and subject identifications are corrected and enhanced through new research. Current information on the collection is at http://www.loc.gov/pictures/collection/prok/.
Last updated: November 1, 2016